I think dividing ourselves into various groups and thinking of ourselves as being superior, and better, than the other groups is something basic in human nature....maybe as 'natural; as the male fascination for .... (please fill in whatever aspect appeals most to you !)
We had an inter-hostel tournament called "Sikander" at my MBA school...not satisfied at grouping ourselves as "IIM Lucknow"-ites, we divided ourselves into various Hostels and the tensions at the tournament ran crazily high...so much politics, so much gamesmanship to show a petty Hostel superiority. I loved playing for the sake of playing (and winning), but the way some of the guys behaved made me feel really wonder what the whole deal was about. We used to think that our Section was better than the rest. One explanation to this emotion may be attributed to finding something to "bind" us together. But many times, especially with things at stake (like jobs and power), the binding glue goes away and gives rise to much more sinister forces.Muslims like to divide themselves in to Shiahs and Sunnis. Even within them, I am sure there would be sub-groups. Hindus will divide themselves into various castes. Maharashtrians would divide themselves into Mumbaikars, Punekars....Mumbaikars into Western line and Central line people. It just goes on and on.
So, I am supposed to be proud of the following, things which make me a superior being as compared to the others:
Location
1. India.
2. Mumbai.
3. Western Suburbs.
4. H-9 at IIM Lucknow
Religion:
1. Hindu.
2. Caste
Education
1. My MBA school
2. NM College
3. CA
4. Section that I was in in my School, college, MBA school.
Eating habits:
1. Vegetarian
2. Don't drink.
3. Don't smoke
Language
1. Gujarati
2. English speaking !
There may be many more, but I feel proud enough already !
All this is fine as long as it works as a uniting thing and possibly even a source of confidence.
However, it doesn't work that ways always. Irrationality takes over, people genuinely start believing they are superior, and hence start demanding special rights and privileges, and try and undermine rights of those who do not belong to their group. These emotions are further flamed by people with vested interests, and then all hell breaks loose !
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment